Growing Pains
If I had known that cradling you in my arms
With your silky cheek pressed to mine and
Teeny fingers twirled around my hair
Would be the last,
Would I have put you down?
If I had known that tucking you into bed
With your fairy princess duvet and
Stack of fantasy books beside you
Would be the last,
Would I have turned out the light?
If I had known that driving you to the playdate
With your backpack of crumpled homework
And box of worn dressed-up dolls
Would be the last,
Would I have kept on driving?
If I had known that holding hands crossing the street
With your skinny legs dragging us along,
Your jeweled toy ring digging into my palm
Would be the last,
Would I have wanted to reach the sidewalk?
But I didn’t know.
I didn’t know that for all times comes
A Last Time.
Because if I did,
Maybe I wouldn't have wanted you to grow up at all.
With your silky cheek pressed to mine and
Teeny fingers twirled around my hair
Would be the last,
Would I have put you down?
If I had known that tucking you into bed
With your fairy princess duvet and
Stack of fantasy books beside you
Would be the last,
Would I have turned out the light?
If I had known that driving you to the playdate
With your backpack of crumpled homework
And box of worn dressed-up dolls
Would be the last,
Would I have kept on driving?
If I had known that holding hands crossing the street
With your skinny legs dragging us along,
Your jeweled toy ring digging into my palm
Would be the last,
Would I have wanted to reach the sidewalk?
But I didn’t know.
I didn’t know that for all times comes
A Last Time.
Because if I did,
Maybe I wouldn't have wanted you to grow up at all.
Talya, I absolutely adore this poem. The images which you've established in each stanza make for an incredibly rich and emotive piece. I especially love that you build the reader's suspense over the course of the poem, ending with a haunting final stanza. To be completely honest with you -- and believe me, I read it a few times over:) -- there is not a single thing I would suggest changing about this piece. A touching, raw, and extremely sweet account of parent-child relationships.
ReplyDeleteImpressive work. Like Sophia said, I love the emotion in this poem and the sentimentality of the parent-child relationship. One thing I find interesting which should maybe either be expanded on or changed is the ending line- "Maybe I wouldn't have wanted you to grow up at all." What I find confusing about it is that it sounds like the poem is building up in regret, of all the moments they didn't spend together. Even though these are not things that the parent should technically regret (such as turning out the lights for bed time) they are all based on her own actions, overthinking them. I can understand this- my grandfather recently passed away, and we all find ourselves saying things like "we should have called him in the hospital. Even if he couldn't really hear us. Even if we thought he was coming home the next day". But the last line doesn't seem regret, because its about something she would have wanted. If it was worded as "maybe I wouldn't have let her grow up", I would understand it more since it is more active. But to me it seems like people don't feel remorse over wanting something the same way they do over actions, wanting to take advantage over certain moments, etc. Just a thought. But overall, great work. Keep it up!
ReplyDelete